Re: [htdig] htsearch performance problems

Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:18:48 -0600 (CST)

According to Schmale Michael:
> I have installed ht://Dig 3.1.1 on our Redhat 5.1 Linux Server. It is a PII
> 266 with 128 MB RAM running Apache. I have simply used the supplied rundig
> script to build the databases that have a total size of about 600 MB. Does
> anyone have a suggestion as to why a search submitted locally from the web
> form takes such a long time? ie a seach for "web server" takes just about a
> full minute before the results appear.

If you're running it with no customization, on a large database, my first
guess would be that htsearch is getting a lot of hits, and taking a long
time to process those hits.

Some users with large databases have reported much higher performance, for
searches that yield lots of hits, by setting the backlink_factor attribute
in htdig.conf to 0, and sorting by score. The scores calculated this
way aren't quite as good, but htsearch can process hits much faster when
it doesn't need to look up the docdb record for each hit, just to get the
backlink count, date or title, either for scoring or for sorting.