Re: [htdig] digger alias problem

Walter Hafner (hafner@informatik.tu-muenchen.de)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 08:45:09 +0100 (MET)

> the machine the digger runs on has several aliases. While digging other
> WWW-Servers, their maintainers complain about a machine rv31xz making
> huge amount of traffic on their webserver.
>
> I want to modify not only the referer or the user-agent, but also the
> name the digger announces himself to the remote webserver. in other words:
> from the remote webservers logfile:
> BAD: rv31xz - - [15/Mar/1999:16:15:54 +0100] "GET /server-status HTTP/....
> GOOD: htdigger - - [15/Mar/1999:16:15:54 +0100] "GET /server-status HTTP/..
>
> with htdigger being an alias to rv31xz.
>
> Is there an option for this?

Yes: "server_aliases"

However, it is nearly impossible maintain the server aliases database
for a huge number of hosts. So I wrote a small Perl script to set up the
database automatically by interpreting all the visited hosts and their
DNS aliases. Search the List archive for "mapnames.pl".

And to the ht://Dig Developer team: I'm still waiting for that
"distinguish-aliases-from-virtual-hosts-automatically" feature. *grin*

-Walter

--
Walter Hafner__________________________________ hafner@in.tum.de
         <A href=http://www.tum.de/~hafner/>*CLICK*</A>