Re: [htdig] tricky? problem

Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:56:32 -0500

At 9:00 AM -0500 3/15/99, Barry Zubel wrote:
>What is the best way to go about indexing this entire lot? I want the whole
>archive and current data searchable. However, can htdig cope with the fact
>that the stories move from one server to another if I simply do an
>incremental index? Will they remove the records from Server1 and add new
>records to Server2? will I have to have an HTML page that links to every new
>story in the archive?

If the root page on server1 points to all the stories on it and the root
page on server2 points to all the stories on it, you should be fine. They
don't need to link directly, just as long as the pages are directly
reachable as far as following links alone.

You may end up digging a page once on server1 and then again when it moves
to server2, but it will be smart about detecting new files and deleting
ones that are missing. (Just make sure you have the latest version, 3.1.0
betas and earlier had bugs about not always deleting files from the
database.)