Re: [htdig] SSI and htsearch

Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:56:07 -0600 (CST)

According to Shantonu Sen:
> alternatively, you can have the header.html have the IMG tag point to a
> script instead of a static image. the script, in turn, would server up
> different images depending on when its called.
>
> i've had a lot of success with this for netscape, but IE doesnt seem to
> like that. i suppose you could put a "[works only with netscape
> navigator]", but this might not be the best solution for you.

Another problem with that approach is that with a banner ad, you usually
want not only the image to change, but also the URL that the <a href=...>
tag points to, so you need to change the HTML as well.

> you could also have header.html regenerated every minute with a different
> ad, but this might get a little dangerous on a highload site if the html
> file is constantly being rewritten.
>
> these might not be the best solutions, but they are alternatives.

This solution has a lot of merit. For rotating banners, you can pre-
generate all the various header.html files for each of the banner ads
you want to show, and a cron job can periodically change a link from
one file to the next in rotation. This shouldn't cause much of a load
on the server (probably less than a CGI script would).