Re: [htdig] Please help: "Sort" in an endless loop!

Marjolein Katsma (webmaster@javawoman.com)
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:26:57 +0100

Shawn,

At 00:47 1999-03-15 -0800, Shawn Patton wrote:

>Marjolein,
>
>Thanks very much for your response. It works!
>I'm curious though. You said it was a "known problem on BSD"
>Well, I searched the Htdig website/archives and it wasn't there.
>.. Maybe the search engine just couldn't find it ;-)

It's a "known" problem for a very simple reason: I discovered it, found the
solution, and reported it to the maintainer Geoff Hutchison).
It took me 24 hours to get it up and running: 4 hours of reading docs and
installing, 20 hours to find this problem, find the cause, and find the
solution...

I found it when trying to get 3.1.0b4 running. After my report, I sent
Geoff some output from my server that *might* help in detecting the
different (from "usual") BSD sort program (it uses a -T parameter so does
htdig when calling the system sort - but with a very different meaning).
What I don't know is whether he succeeded in actually getting that kind of
detection built into the Config for 3.1 (or 3.1.1), or whether that is even
possible: I just haven't had the time yet to install the new version!

You didn't mention what version you were using, BTW, so all I could really
say was that indeed, it is a known problem. It did help of course that you
mentioned BSD but just the combination of "sort" and "loop" would have been
enough to jog my memory.