Re: [htdig] SSI and htsearch

Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:45:40 -0600 (CST)

According to Charlie Romero:
> Can anyone point me in the right direction to get htsearch working with
> either SSI or another cgi.
>
> I am basically trying to get rotating banners in the header.html and I have
> a great CGI that I would like to use. Normally I can call the cgi either by
> itself or using SSI but this doesn't appear to be an option with htsearch.
>
> Any suggestions?

This should maybe be added to the FAQ. It's come up a few times already.

While htsearch doesn't currently provide a means of doing SSI on its
output, or calling other CGI scripts, it does have the capability (since
3.1.0b3) of using environment variables in templates.

The easiest way to get rotating banners in htsearch is to replace htsearch
with a wrapper script that sets an environment variable to the banner
content, or whatever dynamically generated content you want. Your script
can then call the real htsearch to do the work. You'd then need to
reference that environment variable in header.html (or wrapper.html if
that's what you're using), to indicate where the dynamic content should
be placed.

If the dynamic content is generated by a CGI script, your new wrapper
script which calls this CGI would then have to strip out the parts that
you don't want embedded in the output (headers, some tags) so that only
the relevant content gets put into the environment variable you want.

Your wrapper script can be written as a shell script, or in perl, C,
C++, or whatever you feel comfortable using.