[htdig] Limit searching by URL?

Aaron Turner (aturner@linuxkb.org)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:27:17 -0800 (PST)

Ok, I want to be able to allow my users to limit searches by URL.
Basically I have a tree of directories, each with a set of files and
branches. The user can browse the tree, looking at files or search from
that point in the tree down recursively.

Right now the only way I can think of doing this is by having many DB's
(one for each branch) each starting it's indexing from a different
starting point on the tree, and have a different search pages each
utilizing a different DB.

The problems with this are:

1) Requires a lot of excessive/repetitive indexing by htdig (becomes a
        bigger problem as the site grows)
2) Requires many times more disk space (not big problem)
3) Reduces the amount of caching of the DB's for htsearch, thereby
        reducing performance (the biggest problem)
4) Complicated as all heck, and a pain in the arse to maintain.

Is there another way of doing this? The basic requirements are:

1) Searches are limited by the position in the tree. I'm not looking to
rate things.

2) Scales well performance wise.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance,