[htdig] more on title length, wish list...

Charlie Romero (charlie@jumpinternet.com)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:10:26 +0000

Back in December there was discussion about adding a patch to limit the
number of characters in the title of a document. A patch was posted, I am
wondering whether we can get an expanded official version included by
Andrew, Geoff, etc.

More web page writers are learning that search engines put a far greater
weight on the title words. It's even a problem on an Intranet I'm working
on. This problem is only getting worse, but I think can partially be
addressed by a configurable attribute.

I think a max value in the dig so that it will hopefully help in the
searching and then a separate max value for display would be of great

Is there currently an undocumented way to limit the amount of the title

Geoff, will you consider adding "max_title_indexed" and "max_title_display"
as configurable attributes?

Charlie Romero
Director of Corporate Development
(703) 299-3585