Re: [htdig] Description-problem

Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:54:52 -0500

>tag in the index page. For whatever reason, htdig/HTML.cc still collects
>href tags and their description words when indexing is turned off, but
>doesn't collect the spaces and punctuation between words in this case.
>This seems inconsistent - it ought to collect either the whole description,
>or none at all.

I'm not sure why it's not collecting spaces and punctuation, I haven't
looked at that code in a long while and I think it's changed since I last
looked at it. However the behavior of picking up href tags on a noindex is
completely correct.

>I couldn't figure out from the code why there was an empty slot in
>$(DESCRIPTIONS). As far as I can see, it only adds empty descriptions
>for tags like these:

This would be a bug. Why should it add empty descriptions?

>Also, for whatever reason, htsearch seems to set $(DESCRIPTION) to the
>second entry in the $(DESCRIPTIONS) list. I really don't know why that
>is. Maybe the author of the code for that feature could shed some light.

That particular line is a very bad hack. For one, it should create a new
string to contain that value. I don't remember whether it was a patch or
something I wrote very early in the morning. In any case, I'll see if I can
whip up a patch for empty descriptions and this bug.