Re: [htdig] prefix matching (was endings?)

Fri, 5 Mar 1999 17:15:04 -0500

>BTW 1st. I tried endings and then was advised this wouldn't work on numbers.

The endings database is built up using spelling correction algorithms for a
given language. So for example, endings knows that "test" could also be
"testing." It doesn't work on numbers because the "affix" file doesn't
include rules for them.

>Using the blank character to prefix match everything and that's not working
>either. I don't like the idea of prefix matching everything anyway because
>I don't want every body to suffer (slow) just because some people aren't
>getting the best results. Any suggestions appreciated.

Another solution is to enter "synonyms" for the various car makes. Then
rebuild the synonym db and you should have about what you want:

Search for 911 -> (911 or 911s)

It's clearly not as automatic as you'd like, but perhaps you could also
whip up a script to add appropriate synonym file entries and rebuild the
database...