Re: [htdig] Compiling on IRIX 6.5

Benjamin F. Benson (
Thu, 04 Mar 1999 20:40:23 -0600

Gilles Detillieux wrote:
> Let us know if that solves the problem for you. A few others have been
> asking about how to compile on IRIX, but it seems they were running into
> problems elsewhere, so maybe you'd have advice for them.

I saw a couple of problems that people were having compiling htdig on IRIX.

The first is configure problems, but I don't really have any advice. I didn't
have any problems there...everything went off without a hitch.

The second is a conflict between o32 and n32 libraries. There are two possible
solutions for can either compile with the -32 option (cc -32 and CC
-32) or edit the file before you run configure so you look
for libraries in /usr/lib32 instead of /usr/lib...for some reason, although the
new MIPS compiler defaults to n32, some of the libraries in /usr/lib are o32.

There is a page at that gives a
few hints for compiling code on IRIX. The tip about libsocket, libsnl, etc was
especiall helpful in getting rid of the multitude of "definition of <blah> in preempts that in" warnings.

Hope this helps.

Benjamin F. Benson           | Engineering Computing Support Services
Jr. SGI System Administrator | 313B Marston Hall, Iowa State University     | Ames, IA  50011   phone: (515) 294-2897