Re: [htdig] Compiling htdig on Solaris 2.6

Gilles Detillieux (
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 15:46:39 -0600 (CST)

According to Mark Solomon:
> I've tried today to recompile with the GNU binutils-2.9 version of ld and
> the egcs-1.1.1 and gnu gcc 2.8.1 with the same linking error.
> Still open for suggestions.
> On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Geoff Hutchison wrote:
> > >It looks like it's leaving out a library path, but I dont know which one.
> > >Here are is the error when compiling 3.1.1:
> >
> > OK, what's your ld command?
> >
> > > symbol in file
> > >DocumentRef::DocHead(char *) Retriever.o
> > >DocumentRef::DocHead(void) ../htcommon/libcommon.a(DocumentDB.o)
> > >ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to htdig
> >
> > I dunno, I see a DocHead(char *) in, just like I see a
> > DocHead(void) in

These are defined in htcommon/ It seems there's a problem
with these functions in 3.1.1. When compiling with HAVE_LIBZ defined,
but HAVE_ZLIB_H undefined, these functions are not defined. The two
#ifdef's on lines 27 & 28 should be merged into one

        #if defined(HAVE_LIBZ) && defined(HAVE_ZLIB_H)

and the extra #endif on line 120, just before the #else can then be
removed, then the code should compile properly. That your system has
libz but not zlib.h is strange, but the code could handle it better.

Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW: