Re: [htdig] Re: htdig: Comments

Thu, 4 Mar 1999 09:04:54 -0600 (CST)

According to Geoff Hutchison:
> >Except that both IE and netscape treat the above as an unclosed
> >comment beginning, so nobody can get away with doing this in the real
> >world.
> >
> >However, my real issue was not with this behavior, but with the parser
> >getting confused by extra dashes in comments. Extra dashes may be
> >"non-standard", but because both netscape and IE allow them,
> >I've found enough content with extra dashes to make me worry.
> >
> >How about a compromise where whitespace is allowed between the final
> >"--" and the closing ">".
>

> OK, I've tried to stay out of this. I would obviously prefer to deal with
> the standard. However, there's enough non-standard content out there that
> needs to be acceptible.
>
> *However* I don't see your "compromise" about whitespace as anything of the
> sort. How is it a compromise? Who was talking about whitespace anyway? I
> thought your question was about:
> <!-- Comment ---->
>
> In that case, it seems like a reasonable request to allow it.

How does this sound as a compromise. We still allow multiple comments,
delimited by "--" on either side, within a single "<! ... >" enclosure,
but, whenever we find a "--" we skip all extra hyphens right after the
first two. So,

<!-- valid comment -->

<!--valid comment--- >

<!---- valid comment 1 --
-- valid comment 2 ------

.. but ...

<!-- valid first comment -- invalid second comment -->

How does that suit everyone? It seems this would allow W3C standard
comments, as well as comments following IE's home-brew rules. The
example of the invalid second comment above is, I believe, against
the rules that Marjolein explained back in January. (Correct me if
I'm wrong.) I don't know how Netscape and IE would deal with them.

Thoughts?