Re: [htdig] AltaVista-like ranking?

Wed, 3 Mar 1999 19:55:17 -0500

>I wonder if htdig can rank result like Altavista does: If you type some
>words, they are OR'ed together by default - still you'll get those
>documents first that include all of the words.

The "OR" boolean and match method do exactly this.

>default to 0, but I still don't get that Altavista-like behaviour. The
>query's first word seems to have a greater weight.

This seems to be a different question. It *does* perform OR by summing
weights, I'll show you the code if you wish. However it seems like you're
saying that changing the order of a query changes the weight of the word.
This doesn't happen either. Just to be sure, I took several multi-word
queries and took a "diff" to see what changed if I changed the order. They
were identical, except the header at the top. :-)

The only time words in a query are given different weight is if fuzzy
matching is used. In that case, they're given the weights in the
search_algorithm attribute.

Remember also that documents may be heavily weighted in one word or
another. For example, some words are excluded in the bad_words list, others
are given more importance based on markup, some are more common than
others...