Re: [htdig] Re: htdig: Comments

Wed, 3 Mar 1999 19:47:57 -0500 Marjolein Katsma

>Except that both IE and netscape treat the above as an unclosed
>comment beginning, so nobody can get away with doing this in the real
>world.
>
>However, my real issue was not with this behavior, but with the parser
>getting confused by extra dashes in comments. Extra dashes may be
>"non-standard", but because both netscape and IE allow them,
>I've found enough content with extra dashes to make me worry.
>
>How about a compromise where whitespace is allowed between the final
>"--" and the closing ">".

OK, I've tried to stay out of this. I would obviously prefer to deal with
the standard. However, there's enough non-standard content out there that
needs to be acceptible.

*However* I don't see your "compromise" about whitespace as anything of the
sort. How is it a compromise? Who was talking about whitespace anyway? I
thought your question was about:
<!-- Comment ---->

In that case, it seems like a reasonable request to allow it.