Re: [htdig] Re: htdig: Comments

Matt Edwards (medwards@go2net.com)
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 15:21:31 -0800 (PST)

> >On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Matt Edwards wrote:
> >> HtDig 3.1.1 isn't parsing (slightly non-standard) comments correctly.
> >>
> >> Extra dashes in the comment can confuse the current parser into
> >> ignoring a lot of content. For example <!--comment----> is seen as
> >> an uncompleted comment beginning.
>
> Exactly. This is *not* a comment at all. There are no "extra dashes" either.

It was obviously intended to be a comment.
Every browser I can get my hands on treats it as a comment.

> Exactly which "IE and netscape" are you talking about? I tested this with
> the following browsers, *all* of which treat this form of comment *correctly*:
> - MSIE 2.0
> - MSIE 4.01/SP1
> - NS 3.03
> - NS 4.04
> - NS 2.01 (16 bits)
> - Opera 3.0
> - Mosaic 3.0
> - Web TV Viewer 1.1
> - Lynx 2.7
> All running on WinNT 4.0/SP4

This is very strange. I tried it on the following browsers which
treated it as an uncompleted comment beginning:
  MSIE 3.02 - Win95
  MSIE 4.01 - Win95
  NS 4.5 - Linux and Win95
lynx was the only one which didn't ignore everything after it (until the
next -->)

> I'm not sure what kind of "extra dashes" you are talking about. My
> algorithm is already allowing quite a lot of that, iow it's *not* a strict
> implementation of the W3C standard SGML comments but does allow some
> illegal ones as well.

I'm talking about authors who use <!--cool stuff----> as a comment.
The two extra dashes cause your parser to think the > and everything
after it is a part of the comment. Even lynx handles this as a
complete comment, and I think it's a defacto part of the standard.

Matthew Edwards (medwards@go2net.com) | This space for rent
Go2Net Inc. 999 Third Ave Suite 4700 |
 www.go2net.com Seattle, WA 98104 |