[htdig] AltaVista-like ranking?

Daniel Naber (dnaber@mini.gt.owl.de)
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 00:10:43 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

I wonder if htdig can rank result like Altavista does: If you type some
words, they are OR'ed together by default - still you'll get those
documents first that include all of the words.

I know that htdig uses a weight for every document, which could change the
result order. I turned backlink_factor to 0, all the other *_factors
default to 0, but I still don't get that Altavista-like behaviour. The
query's first word seems to have a greater weight.

Am I doing something wrong or is htdig not yet capable of this? If the
latter, how difficult would it be to include such a feature? Where would
one have to start?

TIA
 Daniel Naber

PS: I'm not talking about the AltaVista +/- syntax, just the ranking.

--
PGP Key fingerprint = 3D 98 9E D2 00 B6 E0 9D  7E B9 77 23 17 E2 11 6A
http://cgi4all.alabanza.com/glasatelier/