Re: [htdig] passing $(WORDS)

Brett Baugh (brett@sapermedia.com)
Tue, 02 Mar 1999 10:37:14 -0600

Geoff Hutchison wrote:
> I don't know about you, but I would change the search template to have
> links like this:

d'oh. That'll teach me to talk before coffee-ing...

> Of course I can do this because I know none of my urls contain '?'...
> Nevertheless, this would pass the variable WORDS to the pages. If you're
> using PHP, you can parse from there.

Someone using PHP, though, is highly likely to already have many links
with a "?" in them. There'd have to be some way to parse $(URL) and
see if it already contains a "?" and if so, make the first character
of the appended portion be "&" instead of "?"... which would, of
course, require either a change in htsearch or the ability to have
something without an extension (cgi-bin/htsearch) be parsed by the PHP
module. Hmm... an extension... I wonder if you could just call it
"htsearch.php3" and try to trick it into parsing the htsearch output
for PHP tags? Probably not; PHP would try to parse the contents of
the htsearch file itself, not its output, and get a mouthful of binary
and choke and wheeze and it wouldn't be pretty. It'd have to be
htsearch that does the &/? checking...

-Brett