Re: [htdig] Reading .shtml files during a local filesystem access?

Mon, 1 Mar 1999 12:17:03 -0600 (CST)

According to jazzbo@nerdz.com:
> Is there a way to make it "read" .shtml files through local
> filesystem access? I don't need it to process them while it's
> running, I just need it to read their text contents without going
> through Apache.
>
> My site contains a lot of includes and stuff that I don't necessarily
> want processed while indexing, so doing it through the local file
> system makes the most sense. The problem is that when ht://dig comes
> across a ".shtml" file during indexing, it says it can't read it and
> goes through Apache.
>
> Is there a way to make ht://dig see .shtml files the same as it does
> .html files?

For now, all you can do is modify Document::RetrieveLocal(), in
htdig/Document.cc, to explicitly test for .shtml, in addition to the
.html and .htm suffixes it currently tests for. It's a pretty easy fix,
even if you're not familiar with C or C++. Then, just recompile and
reinstall htdig.

This fix isn't for everyone, though. Many users would probably prefer
to have SSI handling done by the http server for any .shtml files.

In the future, we hope to add support for a mime.types file, for
determining content-type of files from the local file system (or other
transport protocols). We're not there yet.

On my web server, I use XBitHack to turn on SSI processing on .html
files with the execute permission bit in the file mode. htdig doesn't
see this, and so it happily indexes all .html files from the local
file system, ignoring the few SSI tags I have in some of these files.
That works for me.