Re: [htdig] Re: config file (was pdf parser: No error;)

Joe R. Jah (jjah@cloud.ccsf.cc.ca.us)
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 18:21:39 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:20:44 -0500 (EST)
> From: Geoff Hutchison <ghutchis@wso.williams.edu>
> To: htdig@htdig.org
> Cc: htdig@htdig.org
> Subject: Re: [htdig] Re: config file (was pdf parser: No error;)
>

> On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
>
> > I think that in general, it's a bad idea to put all configuration
> > attributes into the user's configuration file. There are two reasons
> > for this. First of all, it's an overwhelming set of attributes for any
> > user just getting started. What's in the default htdig.conf file now
> > is a reasonable starting point, and it's easy enough to add new ones,
> > once you get familiar with the documentation.
>
> I would tend to agree. That's why I was suggesting a separate
> "defaults.conf" file which would not be the installed htdig.conf.

It would be great to have both an htdig.conf and a defaults.conf in one's
conf directory; htdig.conf is never overwritten in a new installation, but
defaults.conf should be.

One does not always need to read the docs to alter an attribute in the
conf file, but one _always_ needs precise wording and format for an
attribute. A defaults.conf file provides that.

P.S. The recent barrage of typos in the docs is a testament to the
necessity of defaults.conf;)

Joe

  _/_/ oe _/ _/. _/_/ ah jjah@cloud.ccsf.cc.ca.us