Re: [htdig] [Q]: Hacking source, advice please (adding search dateranges)

mike grommet (mgrommet@insolwwb.net)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 15:22:12 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Grommet [mailto:mgrommet@insolwwb.net]
Sent: Friday, February 26, 1999 3:14 PM
To: 'Geoff Hutchison'
Subject: RE: [htdig] [Q]: Hacking source, advice please (adding search
dateranges)

Ok, well, theres always the getdate method from htdig/Document.cc

// time_t Document::getdate(char *datestring)
// Convert a RFC850 date string into a time value

Granted it would require something similar to be placed in the htsearch
code.
the only thing that would have to be done is to take the web input
and convert it into this format:
Tuesday, 01-Jul-97 16:48:02 GMT or,
Thu, 01 May 1997 00:40:42 GMT
^^^^^^^^^
this is what the function looks for

well, the getdate routine strips off the day name anyway, and according to
program source,
if there isnt a day name, it doesnt care.

you could put the variables hours,mins,secs
inside the web based form, or leave them as hidden variables with 00 values.

So, if someone needed to search for articles between minutes, they could,
but most likely this wouldnt be necessesary for your average application.

Of course there is still some definate error checking to be performed... but
hey,
thats small stuff I think.

So what do you think?