Re: [htdig] htdig-3.1.1, htmerge, db.wordlist

Fri, 26 Feb 1999 15:12:48 -0600 (CST)

According to Dudley, Jane:
> Hi. I am using htdig-3.1.1, from the rpm for RedHat Linux 5.2. I first run
> /usr/sbin/htdig -i -c [my config file, which is almost the same as the
> sample included with the distribution]. That seems okay. (Only warning or
> error is "warning: unknown locale!"). Then I try /usr/sbin/htmerge -c
> [config file] -vv and all I get from there is
>
> htmerge: Unable to open word list file '[path]/db.wordlist'.
>
> It does have the correct path there. If I do an ls -l for that path, I see
> db.docdb with a length of 2048, and a db.wordlist.new with a length of 0.
> No matter what I try, that's what I get. If I copy
> /usr/htlib/htdig/db/db.wordlist back into that [path] and try htmerge again,
> I get the same error. Why won't htmerge use the copied file or create a new
> db.wordlist?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> J. Dudley

That looks like the sort of error you get when htdig doesn't index any
documents at all, e.g. if the http server isn't even running on the
system you're trying to index. If you run htdig -vvv -i -c config
you'll get some more meaningful diagnostics. Oddly enough, you need
at least two "v" options on htdig before you'll get the

        Unable to build connection with www.foo.com:80

error message. Note that even with the local_urls attribute in your
configuration, htdig still needs to make an initial connection to the
http server to check for a robots.txt file, which it does not look for
on the local file system.