[htdig] PDF and PostScript Parsing

Kevin Quinn (quinn@bitwrench.com)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:18:57 -0500

Greetings,

I do not know much about xpdf, but the latest version of Ghostscript from
Alladin Systems (http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/) *rocks*.

It comes with a "pdftops" program that has worked for everything that I can
throw at it. I am using it as the pdf parser for ht://Dig without any
problems so far.

In addition to hooking it into ht://Dig to parse PDF documents you can do
weird stuff like:

# this dumps all pages to separate jpegs in batch mode (%d is the page
number)
gs -dBATCH -dQUIET -dNOPAGEPROMPT -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=jpeg -sOutputFile=whate
ver_%d.jpg whatever.pdf

# this does page 3 piped to xv as jpeg (JPEGQ is the quality setting)
gs -dFirstPage=3 -dLastPage=3 -dBATCH -dQUIET -dNOPAGEPROMPT -dNOPAUSE -sDEV
ICE=jpeg -dJPEGQ=100 -sOutputFile=- whatever.pdf | xv -

# this does page 3 piped to xv as png (tiff & G4 are also available)
gs -dFirstPage=3 -dLastPage=3 -dBATCH -dQUIET -dNOPAGEPROMPT -dNOPAUSE -sDEV
ICE=png256 -sOutputFile=- whatever.pdf | xv -

Enjoy,

Kevin Lee Quinn
BitWrench Incorporated