Re: [htdig] Broken link checker

Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:05:06 -0500

>Well...I don't know anything about PERL, but there are people in my office
>who do...however, having taken a look at Retriever.cc, it seems that dumping
>bad links to a file in an easily parsable format, with the following
>information, would be an acceptable solution. Then, htnotify could take this
>file, and send out the appropriate e-mail:
>
>referrer URL
>link URL
>referrer e-mail notification address
>Error code (not found, server not reachable, etc.)

Not a bad idea, though for now I don't bother with the last two. The people
on my site have no idea about ht://Dig and don't bother to include htnotify
tags. :-) So my script and the sketch I gave for a more powerful version,
maps URLs to e-mail addresses. Right now it just compares
http://wso.williams.edu/~username/ -> username@wso.williams.edu. But I
don't see why this couldn't be expanded to more general Perl expressions.

>It would be nice for the main docDB to include at least one referrer, so
>that bad links could be notified to at least one person upon re-digs, but
>this is not necessary for my website, because I do a complete re-dig at

Anyone with suggestions on the databases should feel free to make them to
htdig3-dev@htdig.org (or this list, of course). Right now we're working out
an outline of requirements. This is certainly a good one. :-)