Re: [htdig] Broken link checker

Geoff Hutchison (
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:05:06 -0500

>Well...I don't know anything about PERL, but there are people in my office
>who do...however, having taken a look at, it seems that dumping
>bad links to a file in an easily parsable format, with the following
>information, would be an acceptable solution. Then, htnotify could take this
>file, and send out the appropriate e-mail:
>referrer URL
>link URL
>referrer e-mail notification address
>Error code (not found, server not reachable, etc.)

Not a bad idea, though for now I don't bother with the last two. The people
on my site have no idea about ht://Dig and don't bother to include htnotify
tags. :-) So my script and the sketch I gave for a more powerful version,
maps URLs to e-mail addresses. Right now it just compares -> But I
don't see why this couldn't be expanded to more general Perl expressions.

>It would be nice for the main docDB to include at least one referrer, so
>that bad links could be notified to at least one person upon re-digs, but
>this is not necessary for my website, because I do a complete re-dig at

Anyone with suggestions on the databases should feel free to make them to (or this list, of course). Right now we're working out
an outline of requirements. This is certainly a good one. :-)