Re: [htdig] Broken link checker

Marjolein Katsma (webmaster@javawoman.com)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:59:09 +0100

At 08:34 1999-02-24 -0500, you wrote:

>>When C is removed A and B contain a broken link. Not the
>>owner of C needs a message but the owner of A and B. ht://Dig
>>already has this owner feature (htnotify-mail). But this
>>would definitly be a new feature not just an output
>>parser.
>
>Not really. As I mentioned, I have a pretty simple script to parse the "not
>found" messages. If C no longer exists, then links from A and B are both
>broken and reported. The referer portions of the "not found" messages
>appear for me, so I'm not sure what you're worrying about.

Does this output also list the owners of the referring pages? *They* need
to be notified.

Owners of "htdig" (maintainer), and of pages A, B and C can actually be
four different persons. It doesn't really help then to send mail to the
owner of the now-missing page C or to the htdig maintainer when really the
owners of the pages linking to C (A and B) should be notified.

Java Woman - http://javawoman.com/