RE: [htdig] [Q]: MORE SPECIFICS: How to set it up to search by date?

mike grommet (mgrommet@insolwwb.net)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 15:40:22 -0600

Just thought I would go into a bit more detail here.

The archives themselves are going to be contained in a MYSQL database, which
of course is a no-no for
keyword searching... but I have an idea:

I will have a script, actually a cgi that will view an archived story.
I then can basically use htdig to dig the URL of the cgi, essentially
indexing
the archived article as returned by that cgi. I will basically have a
nightly
update to parse the articles as they are moved into the archives. No big
deal here.

When someone searches, the URL given by htdig will call the same cgi that
was called to index it.

The database itself will contain the original date of the article.

So, I need to be able to pass in the date of the document from the database,
when it indexes
(since its not actually indexing a real document, just the output of a url)

I notice that htdig recognizes a META TAG of htdig-notification-date, and I
know I could embed
the meta tag in the output of the cgi but it seems the
htdig-notification-date tag is only to be used
to have it alert an author of an outdate document...

What I want to do seems reasonable.

Also, how would I specify a date range to search by? I've been looking for
an example, but
havent found one yet....

Thanks again all for the help!