[htdig] Meta description tags

Brett Baugh (brett@sapermedia.com)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:17:25 -0600

I'm not sure if anyone actually saw this or not the first time I
posted it, as there were no responses to it, so here we go again...
-----------------------------
Ok... I installed 3.1.1 and updated all the databases and everything
was fine after the expected tweaking, so I installed it on a new site
and discovered something. I used the same config file settings
(changing directories and server names and so on, just not changing
the other options) and the same binaries and the same common templates
for making the new site. But something evil and ugly popped up in the
results for the new site; it now concatenates the <title> contents and
the "meta description" tag contents for each page, but only for the
new site... thus, even using the built-in "short" type of results
generation, I get links like:

"FIC: PartnershipsThe FIC Group of life insurance companies, including
Family Life Insurance and Investors Life Insurance, offer term and
universal life insurance, mortgage protection insurance and annuity
investment products for tax deferral, college funding and other
investment objectives."

instead of just:

"FIC: Partnerships"

Since the meta description is pretty much the same on every page in
the site, just about every search result it returns has link text like
this in both builtin-long and builtin-short types. On every other
site I have htdig installed on, this does not happen. At all. Ever.
And the config file settings are identical except for the things that
have to change for a different site. I've tried
"use_meta_description: false" (even though that's supposed to be the
default, and not having it in the config files for the other sites
doesn't break them) and rebuilt the databases (even though only
htsearch uses that parameter and thus the database contents shouldn't
change from using that config value) and it still does it (I'm
anticipating that will be your first question :) I've even tried
"max_meta_description_length: 0" and "max_meta_description_length: 1"
and then rebuilt; neither of them have any effect whatsoever.

Ideas? I can't let it stay the way it is; someone more important than
me would skin me alive... and no, removing the meta descriptions from
all the pages is not an option :)

-Brett Baugh
System Administrator, Saper Media Group