Re: [htdig] CGI script interface with htdsearch? Possible?

Mon, 22 Feb 1999 16:36:12 -0600 (CST)

According to Kenny Nguyen:
> I have a question regarding about a cgi script, preferably in perl
> language, which interacts with htsearch program to produce an output layout
> rather than using the default header.html, footer.html, or nomatch.html.
>
> Can it be possible for htsearch to call a cgi script (perl) to get an
> output for header.html and footer.html respectively?
>
> The reason i want to have a dynamic header.html or footer.html output is to
> have different look for each searchrather than having the static look every
> time.

Hmmm. I'm a big fan of consistency myself, but this problem sounds
similar to the one discussed a bit more than a month ago, when a few
users wanted to insert dynamically generated banner adds on the search
results page.

What you can do is set up an htsearch script that sets one or a few
environment variables to the dynamic content you want to insert into
the search results pages, then call the real htsearch program to do
the actual search. Then, in your header.html & footer.html files
(or wrapper.html), and in nomatch.html and syntax.html, you can add
references to those variables to insert the dynamic content you want.