Re: [htdig] compiling on AlphaLinux

Tue, 16 Feb 1999 16:52:34 -0600 (CST)

According to Kevin Quinn:
> I am having trouble compiling ht://Dig. I get segmentation faults when
> executing htdig, htmerge, htsearch, and htnotify (mysteriously, htfuzzy
> seems to work fine). I cannot even execute "htdig -v" without getting a
> segmentation fault.
>
> Specifics:
> RedHat 5.1
> alpha unknown linux
> gcc version 2.7.2.3
> libstdc++ version 2.9.0
>
> The only compile errors I get are "cast to pointer from integer of different
> size" warnings while working on "rx". I am aware that this is likely to do
> with word length, but according to the mailing list it seems others have
> compiled without problems.

Hi, Kevin. You don't mention which version of ht://Dig you're
running. There was a 16-bit integer alignment problem with the
DocumentRef::Deserialize() function that caused bus errors on Sparc
processors, but didn't affect Intel machines. It may be that it causes
segfaults on Alpha, or this may be unrelated. The bug appeared in
3.1.0, and a patch was posted to this list the following day. There is
a 3.1.1 pre-release available on ftp://ftp.htdig.org/pub/htdig/, which
also contains this patch.

You may want to give that a try to see if it solves your problem. If it
doesn't, please provide us with a stack backtrace if you can. If the
segfault doesn't give you a core dump, set the size limit for that to
something large, e.g. "limit coredumpsize 20480" before running htdig,
or run htdig under gdb. To get a backtrace from the core dump, use
"gdb /path/to/htdig-3.1.1/htdig/htdig core", then enter the "bt" command.

Given that the segfault occurs in every program except htfuzzy, it's a
safe bet that the problem is probably in the document database routines.