Re: [htdig] SYNTAXERROR - bug?

Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:59:15 -0600 (CST)

According to Marjolein Katsma:
> When I use an invalid boolean search like "tool AND OR toolbar" I get the
> syntax.html file back as indicated in the config.
>
> However, my syntax.html file uses the variable SYNTAXERROR - but nothing is
> displayed.
>
> I'm still using 3.1.0b4 here, but the files parser.cc and parser.h seem
> unchanged in 3.1.0.
>
> Am I missing something or is there a bug?

D'oh! You're right. I was able to reproduce the error on my system too,
with the 3.1.1 pre-release!

If you try a boolean search for "tool bar", it does give the error
message "expected 'AND' or 'OR' instead of 'bar'", but with the query you
suggested, the error message is blank. A peek at htsearch/parser.cc
shows two spots in parser::factor() where valid is set to 0, but error is
not set to anything. There's your bug. I don't really understand the
parser well enough to suggest meaningful error messages to put there,
but perhaps someone else could give it a go.

My stab at it would be

        expected ')' instead of 'foo'

for the first case, and

        expected a word instead of 'foo'