Re: [htdig] Search results pages icons

Sat, 13 Feb 1999 20:10:54 -0400

>Why can't the buttons be generated dynamically, using something
>like the GD libraries by Thomas Boutell? That would be a dandy
>win for HTDig. Simply provide a template GIF image, that the
>numbers is dynamically built on. This could be made general
>enough that a few config file options would allow an administrator
>to use any template GIF image they wanted.

It's not a bad idea, though the question relates to using icons on searches
with many, many pages. So if you're generating more than 10 of them on
every page, I could see it being a slowdown. Of course you can always use
GD or something else to make your icons as you wish and store them.

Personally, I prefer to remove the icons entirely and just use text
numerals to all the pages. It's much lower bandwidth and saves screen
space. :-)

I'd look at:
http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#matches_per_page and
http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#maximum_pages

(In answer to the original question, I doubt we'll be providing more icons
in the default distribution. However, a new "Contributed" section of the
website will be opening soon so people can swap graphics, example config
files, documentation, scripts, you name it. :-)

Cheers,