Re: [htdig] ANNOUNCE: ht://Dig version 3.1.0

Wed, 10 Feb 1999 08:43:26 -0400

>Thanks for the new version! I installed it (Solaris 2.6, gcc 2.8.1),
>started htdig, but...
>
>Program terminated with signal 10, Bus error.

OK. For the record, this was reported with a recent snapshot. But none of
the developers can manage to reproduce this behvaior at all! Since it was
reported on gcc 2.7, we naturally assumed it was a compiler bug and likely
fixed in a more recent gcc.

For example, here's a machine I tested it on:

Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-solaris2.6/2.8.1/specs
gcc version 2.8.1
bash-2.02$ uname -a
SunOS zaphod 5.6 Generic_105182-05 i86pc i386 i86pc

Here's another:

Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.5/2.8.1/specs
gcc version 2.8.1
tonatiuh ~/ uname -a
SunOS tonatiuh 5.5 Generic sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-10

Both were able to index the entire http://www.htdig.org site without any
problems. The bus error seems to happen when htdig tries to update an older
database record. It's uniformly in Deserialize.

This seems to be a sneaky bug. Are you sure this gcc was bootstrapped
cleanly on 2.6? (I'm trying to eliminate all possibilities here.) What
compiler did you use for the bootstrapping? Has anyone experienced the bug
with egcs on Solaris 2.6? Is the bug limited to SPARC Solaris 2.6?

Thanks,