Re: [htdig] htdig keeling over...

Wed, 3 Feb 1999 13:54:17 -0600 (CST)

According to Geoff Hutchison:
> The only problem we might run into is if some server *really* breaks the
> standard and sends us dates in a really weird format like 02/03/99
> 1:58:03 PM EST.

Well, with my patch, getdate() should detect that both attempts at
mystrptime() failed, and fall back on the current date. The problem
before was that mystrptime() could fail, and getdate() wouldn't know it,
so it passed nonsense in the tm structure to strftime(), which in some
implementations would do really nasty things.

> Should we try to match every possible date format?

No, of course not, but if any non-standard date formats become popular
in any case (and Microsoft has a phenomenal knack for popularizing
non-standard implementations of protocols), then it should be fairly
easy to add extra attempts at mystrptime() in getdate() to handle them.
Anything else can fall back on the current time.