Re: [htdig] htdig keeling over...

Wed, 3 Feb 1999 13:59:08 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999 nets@searchtools.com wrote:

> It would be nice to have some exception-handling so that errors like
> this are caught, logged, and skipped, rather than causing the whole
> system to stop. Perhaps you could do some kind of reality check

The date section is perhaps the only area that could cause such problems
since the date must be passed to system functions for further parsing. I
use the past tense since Gilles's patch is around what I would suggest
and is very flexible.

Why were there problems before? Well as I mentioned in my e-mail, there's
a pretty solid standard that almost all servers follow. To be quite
honest, it's only in the last month or two that I've seen reports of
servers sending invalid date headers.

The only problem we might run into is if some server *really* breaks the
standard and sends us dates in a really weird format like 02/03/99
1:58:03 PM EST. Should we try to match every possible date format?