Re: [htdig] weighting the search results

Doug (DougB@simplenet.com)
Mon, 01 Feb 1999 13:48:04 -0800

matth@amc.com wrote:

> Hello,
> I've recently setup htdig at work and had a couple of questions. The
> marketing dept. wants a certain page to come up whenever someone
> searches for the words "Intel", "Motorola", or "AMD." Yes, I know that
> this sortof defeats the point of having a search engine....
> Anyway, we've been trying to throw the results so that the page will
> come up at the top of the list in the search output using the <meta
> keywords=""> tag.

        Couple of things to look at. First, check your htdig.conf file to make
sure that you're using keywords and that they are weighted highly. The
configuration elements you want are keyword_factor and
keywords_meta_tag_names. Also, make sure that your format for the meta
tag is *exactly* like this:

<META NAME="htdig-keywords" CONTENT="phone
    telephone online electronic directory">

In my experience htdig doesn't pick up the meta tag unless you specify
"name=" instead of the more common "http-equiv=". The htdig
documentation gives examples of all this stuff.

        All that being said the keywords are working great for us on our site.
:)

Good luck,

Doug