htdig 3.1.0b4 Solaris

De Clarke (de@ucolick.org)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:46:28 -0800 (PST)

I'm very impressed with htdig. Years ago I wrote a crude
site search engine based on waisindex and waissearch, which
we used for years. It's clear that htdig represents 2
generations of evolution since those days, and I'm looking
forward to making it our official site search facility.

I have only one complaint about this version. And this is,
that while htdig and htmerge honour the -c command line
option, htsearch seems to *ignore* it. This makes it
very difficult to install htdig shareably in an NFS
environment for use by multiple web servers. If each
server could invoke the executables with the appropriate
conf file, all would be well. But in fact, this appears
to work (as you htdig and htmerge), yet when htsearch
is invoked from the search page

<form method="post" action="/cgi-bin/htsearch -c /dsk/htdig/htdig/conf">

it ignores the -c option and continues to look in the
default location, which is not appropriate.

This bug forces us to keep a separate set of executables
for each host, which is not the way we maintain any other
software... or to configure every host with identical local
disk nomenclature and make the default conf file a symlink
to /local/host/disk/path/...

Apart from this annoying problem, htdig is a marvelous
utility! I thank you very much for your effort in developing
and documenting it.

de