[htdig] Re: htdig: htdig URL duplication

Danny Birchall (D.P.Birchall@sussex.ac.uk)
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:59:43 +0000 (GMT)

# > For historical reasons we have in our server configuaration a number of
# > server aliases which serve to cut out part of the URL to make it
# > shorter: eg www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/foo/ becomes www.sussex.ac.uk/foo/.
# >
# > This causes a problem when running htdig, because inevitably somewhere
# > within our document tree, pages will be referenced both as /Units/foo/
# > and as /foo/. Result: ht://Dig indexes the same pages twice, with
# > different URLs, and when a htsearch is run, each pages is returned
# > twice, once with each URL.
#
# Configure your Web-server to make http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/foo/ a
# redirect to http://www.sussex.ac.uk/foo/ instead of an alias.

It would be the other way round (/Units/foo/ is the 'real' directory, /foo/ is
the alias). But we can't do this either (we tried already), because the
configuaration of other services depend on this.

Does htdig create a list of URLs before it creates its databases? Could this
list be doctored to remove duplicates before the database is built?

Danny

Danny Birchall
Editor
University of Sussex Information Service
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/

D.P.Birchall@sussex.ac.uk
Tel: (0)1273 678745
Fax: (0)1273 678441