Re: htdig: Question: French words

Glen Newton (gnewton@wapiti.cisti.nrc.ca)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 10:21:14 -0500 (EST)

> Patrick Dugal wrote:
>
> > But the majority of our users would really like to be able to find documents containing "polymères", without having to type the accented character(s). Currently, htsearch finds no documents on "polymeres", and that unacceptable for our users.
> >
> > Is there anything you can suggest for this situation?
>
> Off hand I'd suggest that you use the synonym database, but I wasn't
> able to find real clear documentation on how to do that.
>
> bon chance,
>
> Doug

Couldn't there be a change which would do the following:

         1 - have a reference file which had "mappings", i.e.
             è = e
             é = e
             è = e
         2 - whenever a single word like "polymères" was encountered,
             the word would be remapped into a new word using the
             mapping table, and then both words would be indexed,
             i.e. "polymères" and polymeres". Then when a person typed
             in "polymere" they would get a hit for "polymères"...

It appears that this already happens for case (i.e. when i search on
"montréal" i get hits for Montreal. This is probably not a mapping but
just everything being cast to lower case in the database).

thanks,

        Glen Newton
        CISTI NRC Canada