Re: htdig: Question: French words

Geoff Hutchison (
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 13:54:54 -0400

At 4:34 PM -0400 1/22/99, Doug wrote:
>> But the majority of our users would really like to be able to find
>>documents containing "polymčres", without having to type the accented
>>character(s). Currently, htsearch finds no documents on "polymeres", and
>>that unacceptable for our users.
>> Is there anything you can suggest for this situation?
> Off hand I'd suggest that you use the synonym database, but I wasn't
>able to find real clear documentation on how to do that.

At the moment, this may be the best solution. We have several people
working on internationalization, including an "ASCIIfy" system where you
could translate the accented words to ASCII. Contact Iosif Fettich
<> for more information.

Using synonyms is pretty easy. Edit the synonym file in the common
directory (the file currently in there is really a suggestion) and run
htfuzzy synonyms and you should be set. (My rundig script actually keeps
tabs on the synonym file and runs htfuzzy when necessary.)

-Geoff Hutchison
Williams Students Online

To unsubscribe from the htdig mailing list, send a message to containing the single word "unsubscribe" in
the body of the message.

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.0b3 on Mon Jan 25 1999 - 08:15:24 PST