Re: htdig: Can't run htmerge from cron?

Fri, 22 Jan 1999 11:16:25 -0600 (CST)

According to Ivo Jansch:

> Hi,
>
> I've put the rundig script in the root crontab file so it runs every
> night.
>
> However it fails at htmerge. I ran it in verbose mode, and this was last
> nights output:
>
> htmerge: Merging...
> htmerge: 100:agc
> (...)
> htmerge: 1000:word
> htmerge: Word sort failed
>
> If I run the same script as root from the commandline everything works
> fine, and the output is the following:
>
> htmerge: Merging...
> htmerge: 100:agc
> (...)
> htmerge: 1000:word
>
> htmerge: Total word count: 1017
> htmerge: 10
> htmerge: 20
> htmerge: 30
>
> htmerge: Total documents: 39
> htmerge: Total doc db size (in K): 1233
>

> Why doesn't it work from crontab?

Well, if there isn't currently an FAQ entry for this, there really should be.
Here we go again:

There's a bug in vixie-cron in Red Hat 5.0 and 5.1, in its signal handling.
It seems to cause this error in htmerge consistently, when run from a cron
job, but could potentially cause similar problems with other jobs.

I recommend upgrading to the latest vixie-cron from the 5.2 distribution.

I've made it available on my web site, at:

        http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/htdig/rpms/vixie-cron-3.0.1-26.i386.rpm
        http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/htdig/rpms/vixie-cron-3.0.1-26.src.rpm

Geoff, maybe this should go under http://www.htdig.org/files/binaries/ too?