htdig: Question: French words

Patrick Dugal (patrick.dugal@nrc.ca)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 11:18:01 -0500

Hello all,

ht://Dig is great and kudos to all involved in its development. I'm an amateur ht://Digger, taking over some of Benoit Majeau's work. He has posted to this list before.

I've read much of the documentation on ht://Dig, and I haven't yet found an answer to the situation that I'm facing.

Here's the situation. Users are currently able to successfully search the database documents containing, say, "polymères" by typing it with the accent on the e. This is normal, and works well for all other French words.

But the majority of our users would really like to be able to find documents containing "polymères", without having to type the accented character(s). Currently, htsearch finds no documents on "polymeres", and that unacceptable for our users.

Is there anything you can suggest for this situation?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pat :-)