Re: htdig: htsearch logging problem

Thu, 21 Jan 1999 16:03:01 -0600 (CST)

Just a hunch, but do the core dumps happen only when testing htsearch
from the command line, or do they happen when running searches from
your browser too? If it's just from the command line, it may be that
your syslog is dying when it tries to access the NULLs returned by
getenv() for variables that are undefined (REMOTE_HOST & HTTP_REFERER).

When run by the http server, these variables should be defined, so I
can't imagine what else would be the problem, if htsearch dumps core
even then. If this is the case, you'll need to poke around in logSearch()
to see what's failing. Given that the problem is happening in strlen(),
called indirectly from syslog(), the most likely culprit is a NULL string
pointer, i.e. char * 0 (as opposed to an empty string), being passed as
an argument to syslog().

According to Doug: