Re: SOLVED :) Re: htdig: Solaris 2.51 problems

Doug (DougB@simplenet.com)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:47:35 -0800

Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> At 5:40 PM -0400 1/18/99, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
> >Wait a minute! Are you saying that the configure script only works correctly
> >under bash? I'd say that's a bug!
>
> If it's true, we need to report it to the autoconf maintainers.

        I would agree that it's a problem, yes. The reason I tried installing
Bash as a solution was a vague memory I had of a similar problem long
ago. As I recall at the time the Gnu people weren't too concerned about
fixing it... I think that the reason was that autoconf expects POSIX
behavior, and if it doesn't have that it isn't happy. IIRC Sun's Bourne
shell isn't POSIX, so certain features of autoconf don't work. It's also
entirely possible that something else is really wrong and installing
Bash just covered up the real problem... I am "borrowing" space on
someone else'e machine to do the compile, so who knows. My experience
with Sun + GNU hasn't been overwhelmingly positive in the past, but to
both of their credits things seem to be improving.

        All that said, there are a couple other nits I noticed during the
compile. First, -lsocket is missing from the Makefiles. I seem to recall
that it was included properly in the makefiles for the solaris 2.6
build I did, but someone might want to look into why it isn't being
included properly by configure for solaris 2.5. (Actually 'uname -a' ==
SunOS sun01 5.5.1 Generic_103640-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1 to be
precise.) Also, when it's time to install the files the path of
"./install-sh" doesn't work, I had to fill in the complete path in
Makefile.config. Let me know if there is something you'd like me to
test.

Thanks,

Doug