Re: htdig: Solaris 2.51 problems

Doug (DougB@simplenet.com)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:33:04 -0800

Andrew Scherpbier wrote:

> Doug wrote:
> >
> > My test machine is Solaris 2.6 and after installing gcc 2.8.1 and
> > libstdc++ 2.8.1 everything compiled just fine. Now I'm ready to install
> > htdig on the real web server, which is Solaris 2.51 (unfortunately) and
> > I'm running into problems. After installing the 2.5 versions of the same
> > gcc and libstdc++, I get this error when running configure for
> > htdig-3.1.0b4:
> >
> > checking for u_short... yes
> > checking for u_int... yes
> > checking for u_long... yes
> > checking for u_int8_t... no
> > configure: error: No unsigned 8-bit integral type.
> > configure: error: ./configure failed for db/dist
> >
> > Oddly enough, when I go into db/dist and run configure, it goes just
> > fine.
> >
> > I saw some references to problems with Solaris 2.51 on the mailing list
> > archive, but none of them seemed to deal with my problem. If anyone has
> > a solution to this, I would be very appreciative.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Doug
>
> I just compiled the htdig3 cvs tree under sparc solaris 2.5.1 without
> problems.
> The problem is probably with your installation of gcc and stdc++
>
> I used the gcc-2.8.1-local and libstdc++-2.8.1-local solaris packages I found
> at http://smc.vnet.net/solaris_2.5.html (I had a *VERY* slow connection to
> that site. let me know if you want me to put them on ftp.htdig.org for
> you...)

        Well, thanks for the offer, but I am using the same two packages, but
obtained from sunfreeware.com. :-/ Have you by chance tried compiling
with the currently available version of the sources? The letters in the
archives seem to indicate that the problem is related to a bogon in the
bdb package... is there a way to compile that seperately and thus
convince htdig's configure that it doesn't need to deal with it? I will
be working on this throughout the day today of course, but as always
pointers are appreciated.

Doug