BOUNCE htdig: Admin request
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 08:13:50 -0800 (PST)

>From Thu Jan 14 08:13:47 1999
Received: from ( [])
        by (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id IAA26820
        for <>; Thu, 14 Jan 1999 08:13:47 -0800 (PST)
Received: (from daemon@localhost)
        by (8.8.8/8.8.8) id JAA05679
        for <>; Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:13:45 -0700 (MST)
Message-Id: <>
Received: from, claiming to be "kocgemhz"
 via SMTP by, id smtpda05452; Thu Jan 14 09:13:27 1999
X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Pro Version 4.0
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:12:20 -0700
Subject: Indexing error?
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"


I am using htDig supplied by (our ISP) and their techs also
are stumped as to why I can't get htDig to work. I'm hoping someone here
can help...<G>.

I am trying to index a specific (/support) directory on our web site and
all of its included subdirectories. htdig indexes if I use the default
start_url of

However, it only indexes the main directory, none of the subdirectories. I
initially had .htaccess enabled for some sections, so took those out and
tried again -- still no indexing of the subdirectories.

If I change the start_url to I get the
following error:

> New server:, 80
> htdig: Run complete
> htdig: 1 server seen:
> htdig: 0 documents
> htmerge: Unable to open word list file
> '/web/u84/wfp14994/htdig/db/db.wordlist'

The tech folks at mindspring have tried several workarounds which I've
listed at the end of this message. Any ideas? The default config only
contains a few lines:

database_dir: /web/u84/wfp14994/htdig/db
limit_urls_to: ${start_url}
exclude_urls: /cgi-bin/ .cgi
max_head_length: 10000
search_algorithm: exact:1 synonyms:0.5 endings:0.1

Following are the solutions already attempted by the techs at mindspring:

> I tried assigning the start_url: right to the index.html file
>in the support/ directory. That didn't work. I also totally commented
>out limit_urls_to: so that it wouldn't limit it at all. No go there either.

>If I set start_url:
>it works like a charm. I was looking at the output of the index
>from that last one. It listed payroll.htm as one of the pages that
>it indexed. So, I set the start_url to
>that worked too. It started at payroll and went from there. So,
>I added a link in index.html for support/index.html so that it
>would be part of the main page. I renamed the one I
>modified to indextest.html and restored the original one now.
>I made a period in the bottom of the page the link. I reindex
>It indexed but the indexing didn't seem to include support/
>at all.

Thanks much,


This archive was generated by hypermail 2.0b3 on Fri Jan 15 1999 - 08:31:56 PST