Re: htdig: trouble installing htdig

Geoff Hutchison (
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:48:58 -0500 (EST)

> 1.35.1 Get htdig

> To get it, web to
> and click on the htdig-3.0.6.tar.gz link.

Hold on a sec, you're grabbing 3.0.6? I'll e-mail the author of this page.
Don't pass go, do not collect $200, grab something like 3.1.0b4 from:

( is the best place to grab info on ht://Dig, which shouldn't
be a surprise ;-)

> The next step is to run "make". If you do, you'll get compiler
> warnings, and then a compile failure. To get past the failure, I

If you get compiler warnings with 3.1.0b4, please let me know. I don't
know of any.

> 1.35.5 Configure htdig

Looks OK.

> 1.35.6 Make a Web page to test searching

I'd still stick with a more recent version--installation should be
smoother. I haven't heard of any reports like this w/ 3.1.0b4.

> Please help. HTDIG looks like a neat tool, and I think I'm very close
> to making it work.

As I said, I think you'll have better success with more recent versions.
People still use some of the older versions. Beyond the compiler warnings
and the search form, I can't point to specific areas where more recent
versions will fix your problems. But I've also never used 3.0.6 either.