htdig3-dev Upcoming 3.1.0 (final) release

Sat, 9 Jan 1999 15:53:45 -0500

Hi all,

Well we're getting to the point where we have to consider an eventual 3.1.0
release. Clearly, I'd like to take care of as many long-standing issues as
possible before that point.

Here's my dilemma. Part of me wants to call a feature freeze and spend a
few weeks killing off any bugs. Then we can get 3.1.0 out the door and get
back to more interesting, experimental stuff. The other part of me wants to
see a few more features before we release.

For example, I have a few patches on my plate right now:
* A patch from Didier for stopping htdig mid-run and picking up where it
left off. (This is cool, but it's big and it make take some serious
testing.)
* A patch from myself to factor word frequency in searches. (This sounds
like a good idea, but preliminary testing wasn't encouraging.)
* A preliminary patch from Gilles for sorting based on title, date, etc.
(This is really cool and I'd like to get it in.)
* A patch from myself to use the glibc timegm (mktime actually) and
strptime functions in htlib. (I'd really like to get this in, but last time
it broke on several platforms.)
* A patch from myself to get rid of rx and use a system regex.h if present
or a copy from glibc. (This is also nice, but not really necessary right
now.)

So I'd like some input, not just on these particular patches (+1 yes, -1
no, 0 abstain) but on a feature freeze by the end of next week (same votes).

Thanks,
-Geoff