Re: htdig: ht:/dig on the net

Fri, 8 Jan 1999 18:57:37 -0500

At 6:09 PM -0500 1/8/99, Marjolein Katsma wrote:

>However, ht://Dig is used in other language environments than just English.
>Being able to do *compile time* configuration (without having to dig into
>the code to find just where and how this error screen is coded) for such an
>error screen so it could at least speak the end-user's language would be
>*very* useful.
>
>Just having a central (.h) file to house conpile-time configuration would
>be really useful IMO.
>Another (language-dependent!) candidate for this file would be the setting
>for MAX_WORD_LENGTH: some languages simply have longer words - 12
>characters is hardly sufficient for English; it most certainly isn't for
>languages like Dutch or German.

The include/htconfig.h file sets MAX_WORD_LENGTH. You've always been able
to edit it to your heart's content. The documentation could be clearer on
this point, but I don't know where to put it.

As for compile-time error messages, this is best done with the GNU gettext
package and would allow for the error messages to be in lots of languages.
But my point was that unless someone wants to take charge of getting this
organized, it's not going to happen soon. I can give some pointers on
gettext and the ht://Dig code, but I just don't have the time for it myself.

I wish I could be of more help.