Re: htdig: ht:/dig on the net

Fri, 8 Jan 1999 17:29:25 -0600 (CST)

According to Marjolein Katsma:
> However, ht://Dig is used in other language environments than just English.
> Being able to do *compile time* configuration (without having to dig into
> the code to find just where and how this error screen is coded) for such an
> error screen so it could at least speak the end-user's language would be
> *very* useful.

My point was that on a properly set up system, the end-user should never
see that error message - the most rudimentary testing by the person setting
up ht://Dig should flush out any of these error conditions. Geoff brought
up a point that I wasn't aware of - older versions of htsearch didn't fall
back to the default config file if the user/form specified config file was
null. That did open the door to possible user error causing this message,
though most likely an error in a search form would have been the cause.
That shouldn't happen in the current version.

I agree that multi-language support is important, but without major changes
to the code, and translation of all the documentation, I don't think a non-
English speaking person would be able to set up and configure ht://Dig
anyway.