Re: GIFs in ht://Dig

Wed, 6 Jan 1999 21:31:25 -0500 (EST)

>The FSF position is to suggest PNGs as an alternative to GIFs. I
>myself use only PNGs. On www.gnu.org we've used JPGs in our inline
>images, but supplied PNGs as alternatives. JPG is a destructive
>algorithm for storing images and PNGs are much more suitable if
>someone would like to edit the pictures themselves.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this one--I forgot it in
the end-of-semester crunch. Now that I have a little more free time, I
want to follow up. I converted all of the GIF files to PNG and I believe
the transparency is encoded in the alpha channels.

However, might I suggest that while we're at it we can redesign the
graphics some? I was never a big fan of the numbers or the default star.

Let me know if there are any problems with these icons.

-Geoff